Serves: 1 hungry person!!
- Olive Oil, for frying
- 1/2-1 tsp each: Chilli Powder, Paprika
- 1/4-1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2-1 tsp Cocoa powder / 1 sml piece REAL DARK CHOCOLATE!!
- 1/2 an Onion
- 1/2 Bell Pepper (I used Green here, but I tend to use a mixture, usually)
- 1 small (or 100g) Sweet Potato / 100g Butternut Squash
- 80g Sweetcorn (frozen is fine)
- 100g Kidney Beans
- 50g Quorn Mince
- 150g Chopped Tomatoes (or more – this depends on your preference)
- *30g Wholewheat Giant Couscous/ Cooked Brown Rice
Heat the oil gently in a medium-sized saucepan while you prepare the vegetables.
Thinly slice the onion. Chop the pepper and sweet potato / squash into evenly-sized pieces (as desired).
Add the onion to the saucepan and fry gently for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the sweet potato / squash, along with the spices and cocoa, and continue to fry for 5 – 8 minutes, until slightly softened, stirring frequently.
Now stir in the tomatoes and liquid and heat for a couple of minutes, before adding the pepper and sweetcorn. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Now add the kidney beans and giant couscous / cooked rice, if using, and continue to cook, over a low-medium heat, for at least 6 minutes, until you are happy with the consistency and taste.
Serve immediately, either on its own if you used the couscous / cooked rice, or on a bed of rice / pasta / a jacket potato / with cornbread / in pittas / with bulgar wheat ( – delicious!!)
* – if you prefer, leave this out and cook some rice / pasta / other to have with your Chilli, instead of mixing it in, as I have here.